Feast Day of St. John Bosco, Patron Saint of Youths

St. John Bosco, founder of the Salesians

"My dear boys, love Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and you shall be truly happy."

Today, January 31, is the feast day of our friend St. John Bosco, patron saint of youths. I won't go into the history of this fine man, as it is so widely available everywhere. I will say that he is a special mentor to me as a writer and I admire his strength and courage, which he would attribute to the intercession of Our Lady, no doubt, to whom he was quite devoted. I am reading his book of the many prophetic dreams he had, and they inspire me as I write for youths.

His special love and care for so many young poor, troubled boys is beautiful and admirable. To think of all that he accomplished with his oratory and the Salesian order: It is mind boggling, but not surprising because God can do anything! Let us remember his faith in God that never faltered as we pay tribute to this fine saint today! St. John Bosco, who always had faith and trust and strove to keep youths from evil and sin, ora pro nobis! We need your influence so badly in the world today! "Faith and prayer," he said.  "These are our weapons and our supports."

My newest novel for pre-teens, The Gate, is a tribute in many ways to our dear St. John Bosco, who had such a love for youths. Please pray to this great saint that today's youths can find a special, mentoring friend in St. John Bosco, like the characters do in The Gate!

St. John Bosco teaching and loving his boys. He strove to teach through preventative action, with happiness and laughter.  In his final days, he said, "Tell the boys I shall be waiting for them in Paradise!"

Popular Posts