The Martyrs Of Douai






Today I went on one of my phone apps that talks about the saint of the day, etc. I found out that today is the feast day of the Douai College Martyrs. Have you ever heard of them? When I read their story, I was completely blown away! 

These 160 holy priests, laypeople, and college members suffered the cruelest forms of torture before dying for the Faith in England in the 1500s (hanging, horrific torture, and beheading).  As I read about them, a movie was playing in my head. I could see these English priests, who were formed and ordained in France, sneaking over to Protestant England in the middle of the night to celebrate the sacraments for ostracized Catholics, celebrating Mass in secret, providing the sacraments, all knowing that if they were caught, they'd be tortured and hung for treason. This movie would be simply incredible being played out on the big screen, and would serve as a beautiful evangelization tool for so many. Why haven't so many of us ever heard of these martyrs? I know in England they are remembered on today, their feast day, but it boggles my mind and saddens me that so many (including myself!) know nothing of their sacrifices over here; nationality does not matter when it comes to Catholics dying in the most selfless way for the Faith, and I am so inspired by their bravery and love for Christ and His people. I have all of these images in my head of Mass being said in secret in homes of the faithful, Confession scenes, the brave families that sheltered the priests, and dying for the Eucharist. It would be absolutely incredible to see this bravery and love in action on the screen, wouldn't it? There may be documentaries available, but I'm thinking blockbuster movie here, a drama.

Here are some links to some info about the Douai Martyrs:



Screenwriters, see what you can do with this!




Popular Posts