Tasty Zucchini Bread

Dear readers:

It's recipe time again! Ohhh, I just made the most delicious zucchini bread today. I have to tell you that I've never made it before. I do enjoy zucchini, but it just never seemed to appeal to me in bread form. Well, yesterday, a friend dropped off the most ENORMOUS zucchini I've ever seen. It was too big to slice for shish kebab, too curved for a gigantic zucchini boat. What to do? Search around for a moist, delicious bread recipe, of course! The one I made here actually made two loaves (I froze one). I added a tasty topping, too, which really makes this loaf extra special. At this time of year, when people have bumper crops of zucchini, it's a good time to get out the box grater and get grating! I hope you enjoy this delicious, moist bread. Happy baking!

Zucchini Bread (makes two loaves)
Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (or 1/2 cup oil + 1/2 cup applesauce)
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (or more) of grated zucchini--do not drain!
1 cup chopped walnuts

Topping ingredients—mix together:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon


Directions:
1. Grease and flour two loaf pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (165 degrees C)
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugars together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, then add the topping ingredients to the tops of the loaves. Put back in the oven and continue baking for about 30 more minutes, or until tester inserted in the loaves comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes, then remove bread from pan and cool completely.

Popular Posts