Quiet Time For Little Therese

Jules Breton, "Peasant Girl Resting"




Dear readers:

Some people I know are always running here and there, never stopping to rest for a moment. Others are simply uncomfortable being alone. Do you know people like this? They always have to be around other people. As for me, I relish quiet time to myself. Not all the time, but certainly there are times when I enjoy the silent solitude of my own company. And that's a good thing. People need to be able to be happy and comfortable by themselves sometimes: to think, to pray, to reflect, to rest. By resting I don't mean sleeping; just quietly lying on your bed thinking about things for a bit is something we all need to do. It should not be a luxury to have some quiet time to yourself to reflect on things. It rests the mind and the body.


Therese relished her quiet time. Sometimes she'd go outside to take walks and pick flowers. Other times, she enjoyed resting on her bed while closing her bed curtain around her.

She wrote:

One day, one of my teachers at the Abbey asked me what I did on my free afternoons when I was alone. I told her I went behind my bed in an empty space which was there and that it was easy to close myself in with my bed curtain and that I thought.

‘But what do you think about?’ she asked.

I told her I thought about God, about life and about eternity.



Therese's bed at Les Buissonets







Popular Posts